Friday, June 13, 2008

Escazu Week One


Wow, so I really cannot believe I have been here over a week. Went so fast, and I already knew it was going to be like this. Six weeks, way to short! But I wanted to write about life before I go on my first trip this weekend, because that will probably take up the next blog.

But week one has gone well, actually gotten a lot of work done, and am now an expert on destinations in Costa Rica. I have gotten into the routine of going to pilates three nights a week for an hour and a half with Nela, which is good and its only like 3-6 people the times I have been. (The first two times the instructor did them in English). Wednesday night after Pilates I went to dinner with Nela and her two friends for some sushi and then tested two Costa Rican beers! Her friends were cool and shared my same obsession with LOST, even maybe even more than I do!

Bugs: Time for the beetle story, I'll try to keep it concise. My first night, as I try to fall asleep, some GIANT creature is buzzing all around, banging into walls (so I could tell it was hard) and FLYING. I had no idea what to do or what it was (cockroach came to mind). So when it was in my bathroom I ran to my door and opened it, hoping it would fly towards the light, then sprayed bug spray and hid under my sheets. No luck, Plan B - when it flies in the bathroom, trap it in there and deal with it in the morning. Did that, next morning there was a giant beetle on his back (about the size of a quarter) so I trapped it in a glass. Later, I was informed those are normal, pretty mid-sized, and that on their backs they cant do anything, and flicked it out the window. Still, they get into the kitchen/hall/other room area, that I can close off with sliding doors, but they bang around and I can't sleep with that, so I have had many expeditions where I am sure I look nuts if you saw me, but I have captured numerous beetles to release. It's when its not raining and they come out. I just do not like when they are flying. Oh, I also caught a little millipede the other night.
But really, the bugs are not bad! I swear, especially since all the windows and doors are always open, night included, it could be a lot worse! At least no scorpions or spiders -- at least not yet!

Found out where I am going in Japan, Aomori Prefecture, Aomori City. Basically the most North you can get and still be on Honshu (the main island of Japan). I was reading today about their dialect, and unlike most Japanese dialects which can be understood by most, this one can't and needs subtitles for regular Japanese to understand. I listened to some, it sounded like Korean or something completely foreign to me.. Example: Japanese: Hisashiburi (like long time no see) - in Aomori Dialect - Doshijya . yea. Also, it gets like the most snowfall in Japan, in 1981 it had a snow cover of 196 cm, like 6.5 feet. oh jeez. But from what I know, there are at least 5 other new JETs that are leaving from DC that will be there.

Alright, sorry for being so long again and rambling because I am tired! But tomorrow I am up bright and early to catch my 6 am bus to the South Caribbean Coast to go to Puerto Viejo and Cahuita, tomorrow I white water raft and Sunday I snorkel and take a hike through Cahuita National Park. And then return Monday. Work is tough!

Anyways, I am going to leave some advice at the end of every blog, so since I did not last time, I will do two this time:

- Don't cut up a jalepeno and then take out your contacts

- Downey Wrinkle Release is amazing -- pack it on every trip you ever take.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tesia!
I love your entries ;]
Looks like you are having a blast~
I was laughing imagining you capturing bugs in the middle of the night...lol
I hope you have a safe and awesome trip!
See you soon darling~
xoxo Elisa