Monday, June 23, 2008

Life in SJ



Alright no "business" trips this past weekend so I just explored San Jose with Nela and her amigos. Thursday went to Latino Rock Cafe and saw a great band called Parque en el Espacio (we actually might see them again tomorrow). Friday we went out and then Saturday checked out downtown San Jose. We went to breakfast and then the market. The market was neat, lots of cool cheap things, from Costa Rica trinkets, to meat, to art supplies. Sunday was a day to relax and take in the sun (this weekend had the first days that I have been here in the rainy season that haven't rained). Today was cold and gray though, so I am glad I did my laundry and sat outside. I also had time to cook a delicious meal -- Tilapia with Mango Salsa and then for dessert Banana/Mango/ Pineapple Skewers dipped in Chocolate.. mmm. Andres who lives upstairs joined for dinner which was nice to talk with him for a bit. So, those were the highlights, but now I will just explain some things a bit about being here.

I live in a house which is also the Solimar Office where I work. The house is pretty empty and the rooms are the offices. The kitchen has a microwave, toaster oven, stove (with no gas), and like a knife. So I have to get inventive planning dinners. But I also feel like I have to work a lot because Nora comes at 8 and then people don't really leave! haha But it's all good. And Andres, the president, lives upstairs, it has an outdoor staircase though so it's pretty separate.

So I love the Costa Rican greeting of kiss/hug when I first got here I was caught off guard, but then that made me wonder: In the US there are good and bad handshakes are there good and bad kisses/hugs or what if you don't really like the person.. so I asked and it does exist, its a "pirate kiss" for people you don't necessarily like, where its just quick, and obviously longer hugs for friends/people you like.

So my what I learned of the week. Bringing my perfume was one of the best decisions I made (Dolce & Gabbana light blue, smells so good). Costa Ricans all smell AMAZING, girls, guys, young, old, everyone. And I concluded it is because they all kiss/hug each other all the time. I was talking to one Tico about it, they said they like to be clean and smell clean. But either way, I love it, they smell great! So bringing my good smelling lotion and perfume was a great decision. (In the picture, Nela, Ana, Carlos, Hime, Me in San Jose)

Well I am going to go sleep, I am tired from work and pilates. But Andres just came home during this blog and I he had me try some Coconut Juice, which apparently is good for digestion (I feel like they say that about everything). But it was very good, tasted like watered down juice with a slightly milky soft feeling. In Limon, on the Caribbean Coast, they make really nice rice and beans and sauces with it apparently, and I actually did try some which were great.

No comments: